Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Fish?

I will be the first to admit, cooking some kinds of fish and shellfish intimidates me. I've been trying to branch out...I have a recipe for Parmesan grilled calamari that I need to post one of these days, and I've been experimenting with more sophisticated fish recipes, but still, sometimes it is intimidating. I'm especially intimidated by whole fish...something about your dinner staring you straight in the face as you are popping it into the oven just doesn't sit well with me. With the exception of this fish dish. I am telling you this could not be ANY easier and it is delicious. I used to get this dish every time I went to Pesce Blue, and Italian/sea food restaurant in Portsmouth, but they stopped serving it so I had to learn to make it myself. Here it is.....SO easy:


  • Purchase whole Branzino (aka Loup De Mer or European Sea Bass) from a reputable fish shop. Ask the guy behind the counter to clean it for you. This gets you out of the scary and intimidating job of having to gut the fish. You can also have him take the head and tail off if you are particularly squeamish.

  • Sprinkle the inside of the fish with a little salt and pepper, then stuff it with some herbs (my preference is tarragon, but parsley and thyme also work), and a lemon slice.

  • Roast the fish on a bed of kosher salt in a 400 degree oven for 18-20 minutes until the skin is crispy and the flesh feels tender but still slightly firm. You can use a fork to peel back a little of the skin at the tail and see if the flesh flakes, if you're uncertain.

To serve the fish, simply open it like a test book on the plate, drizzle it with good-quality olive oil, and a squeeze of fresh lemon. Simple, healthy and so delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment