Strange But True: Tomatoes + Watermelon = Amazing!

I've been eating a lot of salad lately, so I was on the hunt for new variations when I came across this recipe. Quite honestly, I thought the recipe was a bit "out there"....I mean really, tomatoes with watermelon? With avocado? Yes, I was seeking variety, but this was quite a leap from your everyday garden salad. However, it just so happened that I had ALL the ingredients on-hand...so I thought it was fate. After eating the salad I am even more convinced it was fate. It was SO good - a light, refreshing, medley of textures and flavors that combined sweet with salty, crunchy with creamy...it was so delicious I didn't even wait until dinner was ready to eat it. Yes, that's right folks, I ate the whole bowl standing up before the rest of dinner was ready. Embarrassing but true.

I've included the "official" recipe here (courtesy of the cookbook "Pintxos: Small Plates in the Basque Tradition"by Gerald Hirigoyen), but the version I made was a scaled down, simpler version of the recipe. Here is what I did differently:
  • I used 1 1/2 regular vine tomatoes and 1 thickly sliced piece watermelon, both chopped into cubes.
  • I only used 1/2 an avocado and I omitted the cucumber. I am glad I left the cucumber out, I would do it again.
  • I didn't use any herbs.....this may sound strange since I have an abundance of basil, mint, tarragon, etc. in my herb garden, but I tasted it without the herbs and loved it so much I decided not to mess with it. I'd recommend you try the same thing - test it without the herbs, then figure out if you want to add them. I will likely add herbs next time around, but even without them the recipe is spectacular.
  • I totally skipped the coriander....didn't miss it AT ALL.
  • Instead of balsamic vinegar, I used white wine vinegar and loved it.

I will be making this all summer....I honestly cannot wait to eat it again!

3 or 4 small to medium heirloom tomatoes, in assorted colors, cored and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 small English or regular cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 cup 3/4-inch-cubed yellow or red seedless watermelon flesh
1 Hass avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 tablespoon chopped mixed fresh herbs, in any combination: basil, tarragon, chives, and cilantro
1/4 teaspoon coriander seed
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper


In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon, avocado, and herbs. In a spice grinder, grind the coriander seeds to a fine powder. Add the ground coriander to the tomato mixture and toss gently.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the tomato mixture and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment