The Art of Simplicity

While in Atlanta on a business trip this week I had the pleasure of dining at Kyma, a Greek restaurant in the Buckhead area. My meal there really got me thinking about straight-forward, simple cooking, and how the best meals (in my opinion) rely more on super-fresh, high-quality ingredients prepared simply vs. fussy, over-complicated recipes. The meal was so simple it could easily be recreated at home, yet it was entirely elegant. To start I had warmed pita bread with a spread that was made from roasted red peppers, roasted garlic, feta cheese and olive oil pureed in a food processor. My main course was a wonderful whole roasted loup de mer (white fish, basically the Greek equivalent of a Chilean sea bass or branzino). The fish was roasted in the oven, then topped with a simple drizzle of olive oil, some chopped herbs (tarragon and parsley), a few capers, and some lemon juice. The fish was served with greens sauteed in olive oil with garlic. I rarely order dessert, but at Kyma they serve each guest a small dessert serving free so everyone leaves the restaurant on a sweet note. It was spectacular - and yet, how simple is this??? High-quality Greek yogurt nestled in honey and topped with a candied pecan! Delish! I've already begun thinking about how I can recreate this meal at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment