Window Box Herb Garden



No time or space for a full blown herb garden? Improvise!

I love cooking with fresh herbs. Herbs are a great way to add fantasic flavor to your meals with no fat and very few calories. However, space is tight in my backyard. We LOVE our house, but the way the builder situated it on the lot leaves a lot to be desired. We're working on putting in a fence and a patio, but in the meantime my herb garden had to be in window boxes.

I picked up these pretty window boxes at Marshalls and filled them with:
Basil - Caprese salad, pasta sauce, pesto, etc.
Mint - Mojitos! I also toss mint into salads and use it in vietnamese summer rolls.
Oregano - Great to flavor anything Italian. I use it in salad dressings, on roasted potatoes, roasted fish, and more. A quick favorite - chopped tomatoes and cucumbers tossed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh chopped oregano, and feta cheese.
Thyme - A must for roast chicken - add it to minced garlic and butter, melt the butter in the microwave, then rub the mixture under the skin and over the skin before roasting. Also great for potatoes and fish.
Tarragon - Lovely in salads, salad dressing, pasta salad, and a perfect compliment for most fish and chicken.

1 comment:

  1. This is great. I think I'll plant a few herbs this summer. Love the blog.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete