Bring the Beach Home


With the nice weather FINALLY upon us, I find it is a great time of year to update your home with small touches that makes it feel like summer time. Why does Christmas have to be the only season we go out of our way to decorate our homes?


Personally, I like to switch it up for the seasons. I don't like to spend a lot of money, so I get creative to decorate for the season on the cheap. In the fall, you'll find about 50 pumpkins and gourds all over the place to give the house a rustic and fall-themed feel totally on the cheap - I usually spend less that 30 bucks. In the summer, I leverage shells, sand and lanterns to give the house the feel of a beach house.


Throughout the house, you'll see a combination of shells I've acquired while on vacation over the years, augmented by sand and shells acquired for little dinero at a craft store like Michael's or AC Moore. I fill all the hurricane candle holders I use all year round (purchased at Target but looks just like Pottery Barn) with a bit of sand, a scattering of shells, and a pillar candle to bring the seaside to the table in the open foyer. I fill large glass vases with smaller shells and place them all over the house. In the family room (shown here) I bedeck the mantle with shells, starfish, and votive candles, and put lanterns in front of the fireplace to add ambiance even during a season when the fireplace is not in use. Lanterns like this go for $40+ at Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware, but I purchased these at Marshalls for $12.99! I purchase super-cheapo, ivory, unscented pillar candles and viola! - I'm in the perfect beach-side retreat right in my living room!


For a small investment and a lot of ingenuity you can bring that summer feel home. The summer season is so short here in New England, why not make sure every moment feels like summer in your home too?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment