A Little Sparkle for Your Celebrations


A lot of entertainment magazines, blogs, and websites recommend mixing up a batch of a signature cocktail for your gatherings. When I consider going that route I can never get past these two challenges:

1. How do I find a drink that will appeal to everyone? Personally, I think I'd be hard pressed to find a cocktail that would appeal to even 75 percent of my guests at any given event. Most people's taste in cocktails are pretty divided - you either like the sweet "girly" drinks, stiff savory drinks, or you are in the minority that can swing both ways.
2. How to I balance my booze hounds with my sorta-teetotalers? Again, everyone has a different level of personal taste (and tolerance!) for the alcohol content in their cocktails. Too strong for a few is too weak for many...at least among my circle of friends :-)
So, my latest party trick has been a Mimosa Bar. So easy - I just set up an ice bucket and tray with various Champagne accompaniments that guests can use to customize their perfect Champagne cocktail. It has been a hit (even with the guys!).

Here are some tips/flavor combinations to try:
  • The classic mimosa is Champagne and orange juice, but Champagne can be pricey. So, since it is being mixed with something, try lower priced Prosecco or Cava. You can find great Prossecos and Cavas in the 10-15 dollar range vs. Korbel at the same price point just to get the Champagne label. Of course, when using a cheaper sparkler, good quality (ideally fresh squeezed or Odwalla as a substitute) OJ is a must. Cava is my sparkler of choice so I will use that in the rest of my examples, but Champagne or Prosecco can be substituted.

  • Cava/other fruit juice combinations are just as delightful as orange juice and feel less "brunch" like. Add peach juice to make a Bellini. Pomegranate or cranberry juice are particularly festive around Christmas, especially when garnished with fresh pomegranate seeds or a sugared cranberry. Peach juice can usually be found in the Mexican section of most supermarkets under the Goya brand, and I prefer the R.W. Knudsen brand of unsweetened pomegranate and cranberry juices.

  • Add Cava to a champagne flute containing a sugar cube that has been sprinkled with bitters to make a classic "Champagne" cocktail.

  • Cava with lemocello makes a fun summer sparkler.

  • Cava plus Creme de Cassis makes a sunset-hued Kir Royal.

  • Decant your juices and mixers into nice glass or ceramic pitchers to make a pretty display. No one cares to see your plastic Tropicana container :-)
  • Have plenty of plain juice on hand that people can drink from champagne glasses so even the designated drivers can get into the festive spirit.

No one can deny that a little bubbly adds a lot of festivity and a classy touch to just about any occasion!

No comments:

Post a Comment