Fiddleheads are Back!


They look kind of creepy and grow in swamps, but man are they tasty. Each year a sure sign that spring has sprung is the appearance of fiddleheads at my local farmer's market. For the uninitiated, fiddleheads are the uncurled fronds of a young ostrich fern. I was first introduced to them in Eustis, Maine, near my father-in-law's hunting cabin several years ago and have been anxiously awaiting them each spring ever since. I awoke one morning in Eustis to a crew of local folks wandering around the cabin, collecting buckets and buckets of fiddleheads from around the property to sell or freeze for the winter. I need to get back up there one of these years during fiddlehead season to enlist the locals and make a killing - they go for $8.99 a pound at Tendercrop!


To me, the taste of fiddleheads resembles that of asparagus, but I've heard others compare them to broccoli, green beans and even grass. I've recently found some interesting fiddlehead recipes including this one for a fiddlehead and morel risotto that I plan to try this season: http://gonewengland.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&zTi=1&sdn=gonewengland&cdn=travel&tm=23&gps=166_314_788_416&f=10&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.yankeemagazine.com/recipes/search/onerecipe.php%3Fnumber%3D14842. I've heard fiddleheads are great with cream sauces, cheese, tomato sauces, and garlic, but to me the fiddlehead season is so fleeting that I have a hard time experimenting. You never know when you'll be eating your last fiddlehead for 11 months.


I won't try the fancy recipe until I have had them at least a few times to savor their true taste. Here is my recommendation for a straightforward and delicious fiddlehead preparation.


Wash your fiddleheads thoroughly in running water. Add fiddleheads to rapidly boiling water for 4 minutes, then strain. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add blanched fiddleheads to the skillet and cook for another 5-7 minutes more, until they are tender but still bright green and have some crispness left. Season with a little butter, kosher salt, and pepper to taste. If you want to get real crazy, add a splash of vinegar or lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment