Favorite Fall Side Dishes

As previously posted, I missed most of the fall due to my crazy travel schedule. This was very sad for me because I love fall in New England - the crisp-cool air, changing leaves, and bright blue skies...perfection. Not to mention the transition to fall foods! Apples, pumpkins, squash, greens, potatoes, brussels sprouts...yum!

We had great success with our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program at Arrowhead Farms in Newburyport this summer, so we decided to purchase a late-season share, which basically runs through the winter. Therefore, I now have various types of winter squash, brussels sprouts and other root vegetables coming out my ears.

Here are two of my favorite fall recipes for brussels sprouts and squash. They are both based on recipes from Ina Garten - aka Barefoot Contessa. I have personally nicknamed her the Bacon Contessa, as that seems to be a favorite ingredient of hers. I have added in my tips below the recipes. Both of these recipes have become family favorites so I make them quite often. The brussels sprouts recipe will convert even the most die-hard brussels sprout opponents. Enjoy!

Brussels Sprouts Lardons
From Ina Garten's Barefoot in Paris Cookbook

2 tablespoons good olive oil
6 ounces Italian pancetta or bacon, 1/4-inch dice
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts (2 containers), trimmed and cut in 1/2
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup golden raisins
1 3/4 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, recipe follows, or canned broth


Heat the olive oil in a large (12-inch) saute pan and add the pancetta. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the fat is rendered and the pancetta is golden brown and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the pancetta to a plate lined with a paper towel.

Add the Brussels sprouts, salt, and pepper to the fat in the pan and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the raisins and chicken stock. Lower the heat and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes. If the skillet becomes too dry, add a little chicken stock or water. Return the pancetta to the pan, heat through, season to taste, and serve.


My Tips:
  • I use less pancetta than is called for to make the dish a little lighter.
  • I use higher heat when I first add the brussels sprouts to the pan to sear them and give them a nice, golden, crispy crust.
  • I use very little salt - the pancetta adds quite a bit of salty flavor as it is, so make sure you taste the dish before adding more salt.
  • I omit the raisins.
  • I add the cooked pancetta back in towards the end and serve it with the brussels sprouts.
  • I use a TON of chicken broth and cook those little sprouts until they are very, very soft.
Butternut Squash with Pancetta and Sage
From Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics

1 large butternut squash
1 head garlic separated but not peeled
2 Tbsp. good olive oil
2 1/2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces thinly sliced pancetta chopped
16 whole fresh sage leaves
French bread for serving


Preheat oven to 400°. Peel and seed butternut squash and then cut into 3/4- to 1-inch cubes. Place squash and whole unpeeled garlic cloves in a baking dish or sheet pan large enough to hold them all in one layer. Toss with olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper, and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until squash begins to brown, turning once during baking.Sprinkle pancetta and sage leaves evenly over squash and continue to bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, until squash and garlic are tender and caramelized. Season to taste and serve hot with French bread for guests to spread with the roasted garlic.

My Tips:
  • This is a super-simple recipe (once you have gone through the exercise of peeling and chopping the squash) so I don't change much.
  • Sometimes I leave out the garlic, or the maple syrup depending on my mood.
  • You can really use any type of sweet winter squash or pumpkin in this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment